Sunday 28 November 2010

Winter ceremonies can bring their own challenges

Tricky driving conditions.....


The thing about ceremonies is that you just have to be there. This applies as much to weddings as it does to funerals. I was contacted by a lovely couple several weeks ago who are getting married at Glen Tanar in rural Aberdeenshire next February. Now at first I thought what a beautiful venue, I'd love to do it but then I remembered the weather at the same time this year. We were practically snowed in for weeks at a time and even with a 4x4 it was challenging to say the least.

I managed to keep going with all of the funerals I did but there was no way that I would have considered driving down to rural Aberdeenshire so I had to tell the couple that it would probably be better if they looked for someone nearer at hand. I just didn't want them to be worried on the day that I might not manage to get there. After all - no celebrant = no wedding.

Of course it's entirely possible that it will be a beautiful day and the roads will be fine but I can't afford to take that chance and I didn't want them to either. I would dearly have loved to have done it, especially because they asked for me in particular because they had seen my profile on the HSS website but at the end of the day I have to do what's right for the bride and groom. It's too important a day to let there be any doubts about anything.

I'll keep an eye out on their wedding day next year and see whether we made the right decision.
A winter wedding could be very romantic

No comments:

Post a Comment